Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday at the Movies Or Where is Bruegs?



Today being Sunday, I too the day off from the studio to go to an afternoon movie. I think that is one of the most decadent things you can do. While the sun is shining to sit in a darkened room with the flickering light of the projectors. Hubby and I and a guest, Gail who is visiting us from VSC went and saw the comedy, very very black comedy In Bruges. You laugh and are horrified at the same time. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeso play the roles of two hit men, who after a difficult job are ordered by their boss to go and cool off in Bruges. They are immediately out of their element, not knowing how to be tourists, how to relax or even where is Bruges. Colin keeps calling it a shit hole and if it really had been someplace good it would have been in a country that everyone knew, not Belgium. In this the most well preserved medieval city in Europe the hit men start to question life, death and the morality of their occupations through interactions with a dwarf, tourists, pregnant hotel owners and indifferent minor bureaucrats. The stories comedy moves into tragedy with unexpected results. It was the perfect way to escape Sunday.

Then it was off to Whole Foods, or as we like to think of whole paycheck for our weekly supply of groceries. That place gets on my nerves, way to many type A people shop there. Here I am still hopping on a crutch and they are pushing me out of my way to get their organic guava or whatever. Still, I shop there, because I do like to know what is in my food.

1 comment:

Adria Arch said...

Hi Barbara! I am so happy to see you have a blog, and thanks also for the link to Stumbleupon.

I really enjoy your new VSC pieces! They are full of depth and life, a whole new take on the traditionl Boston seascape thing. The painting is quite beautiful

I also enjoyed your comments on VSC. It's true, what a special place. I am going back in September, this time for a whole month. To hell with my day job!

The Constellation installation grew from my experience there, in fact- the new one you said you liked.

Well, I am looking forward to our next crit session. Adria